Contributors

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Working more hours: the pros and cons

Pros: I have more money to spend on things like, a) bikes, b) restaurant food, c)birthday presents for Ferguson (as if he needs more things *rolls eyes*)

Cons: It means I have to drag Ferg to work with me more often, which lately, has not been proving much fun for him.

For some unknown reason (at least for the most part), Ferguson has again had an odd regression towards being alone. I'm not sure when it started exactly, but the result is him being upset, even when left in his soft crate alone WHILE someone is home but in the other room. Um...when did that happen? This hasn't been a problem in the past, and is quite strange.

Of course, we're working on it, and after a few repetitions, he is again comfortable with it, at least for now for up to 20 minutes as I practiced. But what is stranger is that he has taken to crying at work as well, and while he settles down, he carries on for 15-30 minutes before settling, and will sometimes start up again randomly after a few hours. I am thinking this might have to do with me working back there on Sunday, which was very hard for him. He gets very upset when I walk past him and don't let him out (I of course ignore him and remain emotionless when coming and going, but just the sight of me makes him think we're leaving). The kennel staff report that he likes being outside with them and the other dogs, but they often have trouble putting him back in his run...it's possible they could be being too soft on him, and this could be contributing to his bad habits. In any case, I'm sure that tuning it up again at home should help curb the behavior at work.

I also think he's been there just too much lately and it's taken a lot out of him and making him less logical/coherent as he normally is. Today he slept like a rock for most of the afternoon, like he hasn't slept in days. I wish he'd just understand that if he'd learn to be alone, he need not come at all and can crash like that every day until I get home. *sighs* It's a work in progress, but it helps to know that he really CAN do it. It's just a matter of keeping it up and not letting him relapse.

The plan is to start getting him to stay at home when I work in the afternoons 1-close, as my mom gets home at 4 and can let him out and be with him. This would cut the number of times he'd have to come with me in half. Three hours is all you have to do, Ferg! Hang in there.

On a final note, here goes another $20 for Ferg, but I think it's a good birthday present:

No comments: