I already feel sorry for Winry, if greyhounds truly are not fans of cold (obviously, neither am I). It would be easier to adopt her in a warmer month, when I could walk her effortlessly and whenever I wanted. But I've been looking forward to the end of December for over nine months now, so I refuse to let the weather stand in our way! Don't worry, Winry, I've been working on that sweater for you since May! (Pictures to come later).
My parents, however, may pose more of a threat than the weather though. I last went to visit them on Sunday, and at the mention of Winry they seemed to hesitate and I'm not sure why. They seem confident that I will be able to get her at some point, but for some reason, insinuated they wanted me to wait even longer (as if 9 months wasn't long enough?). I respect their wishes and the fact that it will be their house we'll be at for the first 5 months, but I still can't figure out the basis for their sudden hesitation exactly. When it comes to Winry, I have figured out just about every last little thing for her, including her annual finances, places we can live, how much money I will have to make, down to the last detail of her ear cleaner (has anyone had any luck with baby oil, btw?). When I asked my mom about it, she said she felt like Winry would hold me back somehow, with where I could live, is all that she mentioned. My dad said something in passing about not knowing whether he would have time to actually walk her at lunch time...which leaves me even more confused. In the past, I have raised and trained Labradors, and very rarely, if ever, asked my parents to do anything for any of those dogs. I have always taken 100% responsibility for the dogs I've cared for and worked with, and while they have offered at times to care for them, I am always reluctant to accept their help, as I understand they are completely under my charge and mine alone. Also, I was able to work and care for these Labradors in the past, which was no easy feat; however, the point is, I am attempting to choose the lowest maintenance breed of dog that will sleep for 15-20 hours a day which would obviously require little, if any attention from my parents, if I could manage on my own with the active high energy Labradors. The way I see it, adopting Winry in January (I've agreed to wait until after Christmas at their request) is the absolute best time for me to adopt a dog probably for years to come; I will be home for a solid month with no other commitments, other than to get her settled. At present, it is true that I don't have an actual job besides walking Carly and Shadow and doing occasional babysitting for my mom's co-worker. But, I will begin searching like crazy starting in January in hopes of moving out by May. I will have a B.A. degree in just 2 weeks, so I should, in theory, be able to find something over the 5 month period of living at home while I wait for my roommate to graduate. I know it sounds precarious to not have a "real" job at the time of adoption, but I have been saving up money for her all this time, and have about $2,000. Additionally, I will continue babysitting and plan to donate plasma (both of which bring in about 50$ per week), and will have no expenses on my behalf other than going out with friends for food and whatnot. So, in other words, while I wait/attempt to get a job, I will still be bringing in some form of money...I haven't even mentioned Eric's offer to pay for Winry's needs, since she will be half his dog.
My goodness, I typed an excessive amount of venting. I apologize to anyone who actually read all of that...and if you didn't, don't feel like you have to. Okay, well, summarize Winry in reference to my parents, I feel like they should not have to worry about her at all, as I am already very aware of her needs and have extensive experience to work off of, and I have never asked for or needed their help for my dogs in the past; they simply allow us to live at their house (which I do not take for granted).
Ah well, I guess we'll see what happens as they day comes closer. I was hoping to apply for adoption by December 20th. There will surely be a post on this date...you've been forewarned.