Contributors

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Gerta's In For Training



Earlier this week, I received an email from Barbara saying that Gerta still arrived for her IFT (In For Training) even though she was still in heat. She passed her IFT just fine, though they decided to not use her for breeding after all, meaning she will go straight into the guide dog program.
This concerns me just a little, as Gerta is already over 20 months old. Apparently they start releasing dogs for no fault of their own after they exceed the age of two. This means that even if she needs just a little more time working, it could cost her the chance of being a guide.
The entire process takes around four months, so I'm hoping that if she does end up dropping out, she can wait as long as possible before doing so. Then, no one will have to hold her temporarily very long before I get my apartment in May and she can stay with me permanently without hassle. Oh Gerta....

No comments: